- Gain an understanding of the practicalities of working at a book publishing start-up
- Learn about key areas of change in the book publishing industry
- Meet some of the new players in the world of digital book publishing
- Have a sense of the process of book production
- Gain familiarity with the ins and outs of book industry marketing and distribution
- Learn about book contracts and royalties
The course accommodates both entrepreneurs eager to explore new technologies and those wishing to enter the world of traditional book publishing, or simply learn more about it. Its focus is on new possibilities in book publishing.
Several thematic currents will be explored in detail. Whenever possible, the discussion will be complemented by an outside speaker (or speakers) with expertise in the relevant area. Some of the topics we will cover include: re-imagining the future of the book; reconsidering revenue streams (old and new); new patterns in selling and distribution; rethinking marketing and publicity (traditional and new).
Among the industry professionals who will be interacting with students are those listed here.
Students who stay on in New York City (or who live here) are encouraged to attend, at no additional fee, a “supplement” to the course that takes place the following week (June 27/28) when we’ll visit a few publishing houses located in the city. In 2015, we visited New Directions, Simon & Schuster, Melville House and W. W. Norton.
Questions? please contact the director.